Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Podcasts

I have listened to podcasts when I was taking classes through Region 11. I really do not like just listening on the computer and ipods were not invented then. I listened to some book talks on podcasts but I just don't like that there are no pictures, I prefer the book trailers. The students at my school are more visual with the video world and would prefer a video than a booktalk on a podcast.

We have used podcasts with classes when they presented a radio show. I know how to use Audacity and have used it for a radio show with music in the background. We used Audacity with our book trailers so students could remove the voice from the music or cut the music down to 30 seconds.

I really think our students would use the Voicethread. I am going to try it out with books next year. There is voice, text and visual. A variety of media will work with them. As I listened to the variety of podcasts available many were low in tone and I could not understand, but most were very good.

High school students at my school might enjoy making podcasts for classes but would not listen in the library unless it is an assignment. Podcasts would be useful for teachers to record lectures. Students who were absent could then listen to the lecture. As a librarian, it is important for me to know this technology to help the teachers and students. My goal this year is technology in the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment